Celts and Romans
I like these figures, some of the poses look odd when viewed alone but the look fine when based up. Impetus uses large bases (in this case 120mm X 60mm) and the dynamic poses on these figures really suit this sort of base size.
Now the out of focus guys facing off the Celts are Wargames Factory Romans. I have painted up a few of these and I am really pleased with them. Here are a couple of shots of them.
Some comments on the figures.
As already mentioned, some of the poses are rather dynamic, this can look odd but when based up in large groups they look great.
There have been some comments about the ratio of figures to shields in the box. This could be an issue, I have added a few of Warlord's resin shields, instruments, standards, trophy heads and double weapons and the result looks right I think.
The shield transfers are sticky backed, they are fiddly to cut out and apply, with patience they turn out fine. I painted the shields first. The backs brown and the ribs and face in one of the transfer coulours with the boss in metal. Then applied the transfers. I glued the shields to the figures after painting.
Fit on the figures is good, flash and mould lines almost non-existent.
I painted them with a block and wash method over black undercoat. The naked guys were undercoated with Army Painter flesh spray - they painted up fast :-)
Wargames Factory Romans
These are getting a bit of a mixed press out there ! They do look rather shiny and "fuzzy" on the sprue. I made a few up to see how they assembled. Again little or no flash or mould lines to worry about. Fit on the arms is not brilliant and they needed some cutting. The ball and socket heads worked out OK.
Once I sprayed the figures black the detail started to come out. I painted them with a block and wash system and I am happy with the results. They come out as good "wargames standard" figures. I can paint them fairly quickly (managed another 12 in about 3 hours last night) and I feel that I actually stand a chance of getting a gameable army onto the table within a couple of months.
The shield transfers are rub-down, this was odd and I trashed a couple to start with. My advice if you are using these is to paint the shield first. I painted the back brown and gave it a wash with Citadel wash, then the whole of the front is a deep red with a metal boss. Then I put on the transfers. I tried some off the sprue and some on the sprue, on the sprue made it easier to match up the transfer to the shield shape. I attached the shields after painting the figures. I noticed when I posted the photos that I didn't touch up the points where the shields were detatched, I will fix that.
The figures cost me £17 (GBP) for 48 (with a free box of colonial Brits and free postage) and included shield transfers. Foundry Romans are more detailed but they would have disadvantages for me. Firstly cost, £11 GBP + p&p for 8 figures with no transfers. Then there is the detail, they look great, this is a problem for me. If the figure has great detail I can't block and wash it, the three tone shading technique comes out. That is four hours for a 28mm figure. OK I will produce a figure that I can be very proud of but that is a week of painting time on one figure.
So cheaper figures with good enough details means I am more likely to get an army to play games with, rather than a mountain of undercoated lead and plastic.
Here is a parting shot of the figures facing off.